Friday, January 04, 2008

MOVIE: Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Elizabeth: The Golden Age is the sequel to the 1998 award nomiated Elizabeth. The movie stars Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Jordi Mollà and Clive Owen and is directed by Shekhar Kapur.

Its the 16th-century and Elizabeth (played by Cate Blanchett) is still the Queen of England. England is mostly a Catholic country. King Phillip II of Spain (played by Jordi Mollà) is the largest power in the world and he shifts his eyes at England. He begins to build and invincible armada to sent to England in the name of God, and restore England who Catholicism.

Elizabeth have dedicated her life to her country and she must let nothing get in the way. While one day Sir Walter Raleigh (played by Clive Owen) comes into her court to giver her a gift of gold, gold that he stole from Spanish ships. Queen Elizabeth accepts the gift making the Spanish Ambassador outraged and he stomps of out the room. Elizabeth becomes intrigued with this Sir Walter Raleigh and later tells Lady-in-waiting, Bess (played by Abbie Cornish) to talk to Raleigh.

While this is going on Sir Francis Walsingham (played by the great Geoffrey Rush) discovers a plot to assassinate Elizabeth, when the plan does go into action it does not go to plan and Elizabeth was not harmed. Walsingham discovers that the one who issued the assassination was no other than Elizabeth cousin Mary Stuart (Samantha Morton), Queen of the Scots, so that she can take the throne. Elizabeth reluctant, but by the request of her advisers sends out her execution.

King Phillip of Spain uses this to call all armies under the banner of God to attack Elizabeth, because she killed God's anointed Queen (referring to Mary Stuart). So now Elizabeth must prepare her country, they way she defends is fighting them at sea. Queen Elizabeth all awhile tries to fight off feeling towards Walter Raleigh so that she can be dedicated to her country. Up till she reaches the shores where they would defend, she gives her men and aspiring speech, on the day before the armada arrives.

I absolutely loved the first Elizabeth and I wanted that movie to win the seven nominations so bad I thought it was that good. When I went to go see The Golden Age I was really excited, and by the time I exited the theater I was happy with the out come of Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

The acting I felt was on par with the first one, Cate Blanchett is true a wonderful actress. There was two scenes in particular which honestly gave me chills; the first one would have to be when the Spanish Ambassador tells Eilzabeth that their fleet will sweep away her pride and she responds my yelling forcefully, "I too can command the winds sir, I too have a hurricane in my that who strip Spain bare if you dare try." Another scene would be when Sir Francis Walsingham tell Elizabeth that he failed her the plan from phillip allowing him to have a just-cause to attack England. Then comes this over the head shot much like in the beginning of the first movie and we just see Elizabeth feel so depressed.

The costume this time around I thought were a little bit over the top. The costumes of Elizabeth in the first one I thought was perfect, but in this one it seedmed what she was wearing a little bit much. Everyone else were fine for me just Elizabeth. As much like the first film the sets where amazing.

I really Elizabeth: The Golden Age, while its not quite better than the first its still good and entertaining. I Strongly Recommend Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

No comments: