Monday, January 07, 2008

DVD: Speak

Speak stars Kristen Stewart, Elizabeth Perkins, D.B. Sweeney and Steve Zahn and is Directed by Jessica Sharzer.

Speak is about a young girl Melinda Sordino (played by Kristen Stewart). She is starting high school as a freshman, only problem is that almost every one in school hates her except for a new girl who has just arrived to town a couple of days before, Heather (played by Allison Siko) who befriends her while on the first day of school riding on the bus. Throughout the first day of school has she just tries to make it through the day, she is constantly being called a "squealer" by everyone she walks passed, because of one night where her and her friends are at a party and then she called the cops. During the school year the two people that help her out get through this year they are another student David Petrakis (Michael Angarano), who she has as a lab partner, and her art teacher Mr. Freeman (played by Steve Zahn). She constantly recalls the traumatic night of the party (the one where she called the cops), because on that night she was raped by Andy Evans (Eric Lively), another student at her school.

Speak would be a movie that I would not mostly come across but I came across this movie just looking around and I thought this actually might check into. I was surprised because I actually enjoyed this movie I thought it good. I really like the cast of the movie Elizabeth Perkins who I like in the Showtime series Weeds, Steve Zahn I liked his performance in That Thing You Do! and I've seen some movies with Kristen Stewart in them like Panic Room and Cold Creek Manor, Zathura and The Messengers. In Speak I thought everyone does a good job throughout. especially Kristen Stewart.

I have not read the novel (which is of the same named) and was written by Laurie Halse Anderson in 1999, but I read that the author was their on set and she was very pleased with what was going on. So that must be a good thing right.

Overall, I thought Speak was a really engaging movie which I thought was really good. I think this really shows Kristen Stewart as a good actress and does a great job at acting, I bet she will get a lot more roles after this. I Recommend Speak.

DVD

The DVD of Speak has as features, Commentary by both the Director Jessica Sharzer and Author Laurie Halse Anderson, Behind-The-Scenes, Penguin Books "Study Guide" and Cast Filmographies.

I thought that the DVD good. The Commentary I though was OK. The behind the scenes featurettes was decent and a good watch. The filmographies were and are in my mine opinion are NOT special features, this along with interactive menus are poor excuses of special features. My overall thought of the DVD would be a so-so, but I thought the movie alone was good, so I would recommend this DVD as a Buy because of how good the movie was.

No comments: