Wednesday, January 09, 2008

DVD: Sunshine

Sunshine stars Cliff Curtis, Cillian Murphy, Michelle Yeoh, Hiroyuki Sanada, Rose Byrne, Benedict Wong, Chris Evans, Troy Garity with the voice of Chipo Chung. Sunshine is directed by Danny Boyle and written by Alex Garland.


Eight men and women are on a spaceship known as the Icarus II, to reignite the sun which is dying. On the way towards the sun the long period of time of the group being stuck together is taking there toll. As they reach Mercury they get a S.O.S call from the first Icarus.

The first thing that I was exited for was the cast, the cast who includes some great actors like Cillian Murphy (The Wind that Shakes the Barley), Michelle Yeoh(Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), Hiroyuki Sanada (from Rush Hour 3 and The Last Samurai) and others. Its cool to see Cillian Murphy to be back together with Danny Boyle, They worked together back in 2002 on 28 Days Later.

One thing I was reminded of was obviously Stanley Kubrick's great masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey. In respects, the most one thing that I was reminded of was the computer of the spaceship Icarus II which is much like HAL in 2001. Also I know for sure I found at least one similar, if not exactly the same shots.

I really liked this movie, but the only thing that bugged me was at the point when Icarus II docked with Icarus I, and when Robert Capa (Cillian Murphy) and Mace (Chris Evans) get back on board their ship. From here the movie turns into becoming a very entertaining Sci-fi movie and switching into a Horror movie with Capt. Pinbacker showing up. At this point I was sort of taken away from the whole thing, but I still thought that It was still entertaining for the most part.

Overall I enjoyed Sunshine while towards the end of the movie it started to end downhill. There was more good in the movie then there was bad in my opinion. I Recommend Sunshine.

DVD

The DVD of Sunshine is packed with two Commentaries from the Director Danny Boyle and the other from a Professor from the University of Manchester named Dr. Brian Cox. Other features are deleted scenes with commentary by Danny Boyle. Along with a Trailer and two Short Films.

Everything on this DVD is a pretty well packed with features. Both Commentaries go with the movie very well, equally they both have some great insight in the movie. The two short films are too much like the movie I thought was entertaining. The DVD of Sunshine is a Recommended Buy.

No comments: