Saturday, August 18, 2007

DVD: Wild Hogs

Wild Hogs is a story about four "ageing" men who think that they are still young enough to hang out with the younger crowd. When Woody Stevens (John Travolta) gets the idea of going on a cross-country hog ride with his fellow biker friends (Tim Allen, Martin Lawrence, William H. Macy). To try to escape there problem in there Suburban life style and the other three agree. During the trip the "Wild Hogs" get tangled with the deadly Del Fuegos who leader is played by Ray Liotta. From here the Hogs rest up at a small town in New Mexico. In the town Dudley Frank (William H. Macy) meets a local woman who he falls for played by Marisa Tomei. Unfortunely the Hogs meet a road block before they can reach there goal.

Looking at the cast you would think that this could be a huge mega hit, but that not what it amounted to be. I thought the jokes were weak and very repetitive, the one thing that really bugged me was that they kept show wipe out after wipe out after wipe out of William H. Macy character (Dudley Frank) I thought the first time he did it was funny but after the second and even third time I though it was getting really stupid and repetitive.

The acting in Wild Hogs was respectable but I did think Ray Liotta acting was a little over the top. A cameo did appear in the film with someone who I won't mention because if you see it I don't want to spoil it, I thought he didn't fit the character he's playing which I didn't also care for.

Wild Hogs is written by Brad Copeland who as written episode for Ground For Life, My Name is Earl and the great Arrested Development, and is directed by Walt Becker. With one of the writers from Arrested Development how can it not be funny? Some parts were funny but not enough to save the film. Some of the jokes were the same as the one in other cross country movie. I would have liked some more NEW jokes.

The cast was good, the acting was good the story was OK. So why didn't I like it? I thought it was boring the jokes where repetitive that turned me off to the movie. Overall I think this is not a film to watch but if you have been interested in this film I would at least give this a Skip. Maybe you like the jokes in the film.

DVD Features

Wild Hogs is presented in Widescreen 2.35:1--Enhanced for 16x9 Televisions--and has Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound of English, French and Spanish tracks. The DVD also has French and Spanish subtitles. The Special Features include:

  • "Bikes, Brawl And Burning Bars: The Making of Wild Hogs"
  • How Go Get Your Wife To Let You Buy A Motorcycle
  • Freewheeling Alternate Ending
  • High Octane Deleted Scenes
  • Outrageous Outtakes
  • Audio Commentary With Director Walt Becker and Writer Brad Copeland.

The special features on the DVD of Wild Hogs let me start off by saying the commentary with writer Brad Copeland the the director Walt Becker I didn't care for as much. The one think that I hated was the alternate ending. Everywhere I saw Wild Hogs being advertised talked about this alternate ending and to be frank it sucked. If does give us one last scene with a character who I didn't care for in the first place. Same with the outtakes they were not really funny. Overall with the DVD I would have to say Skip It.

No comments: